Do you believe you will wear glasses or contact lenses for the rest of your life? Think again!
Used for decades in cataract surgery, intraocular lenses are now an effective solution that is particularly suited to the most severe eyesight problems. Implanted inside the eye during surgery, the intraocular lenses correct the vision in the same way as glasses or contact lenses.
The intraocular lenses used today offer the latest technologies:
- Flexible materials (silicone or acrylic) enabling micro-incision and surgery without any stitches
- An integrated UV filter that limits the harmful effects of some light rays
- An improved design of the lens rim that reduces annoying reflections and slows the process of posterior capsule opacification after surgery, also known as “secondary cataract”
Intraocular lenses are used to correct presbyopia, myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism and cataract.
After a comprehensive assessment of your eyesight, your ophthalmologist will be able to assess the relevance and the probability of success in the surgical treatment. The choice of the surgical technique and the intraocular lens type depends on various factors such as:
- Your personal and family history in general and eye health
- Your needs and lifestyle
- Your expectations and personality
Several types of intraocular lenses exist: